Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Zippy Jacket Sewing Pattern Review

Blank Slate Patterns are currently my favorite patterns to sew.  The directions are easy to follow, with very helpful pictures.  The patterns are easy to tape together and find the right size, even using a black and white laser printer.  The items fit well and are a joy to sew.

One time when fleece was on sale, I bought my son some yellow Snoopy fabric.  He has bothered me ever since to make him something from it.  The jacket we bought last spring got lost, so I decided here was my perfect opportunity.

I looked over various jacket patterns and decided on the Zippy Jacket from Blank Slate Patterns.  The pockets were different and fun and I had sewn the Just a Jersey T-Shirt this spring and loved it.  I'm going to have to make a new one every year.  The one drawback was that it did not have a hood.  My son had requested a hood.  Specifically a hood with a zipper.  Like his sister's coat has.

I decided now was the time to stretch my sewing skills.  I had the Explorer Hoodie I got in a Pattern Anthology collection.  I used and altered that to add a hood with a zipper to the jacket.  A lot of hood seam ripping later and we had the finished product!

From the back with a zipped hood
Front with unzipped hood

Back with unzipped hood
 My son holds still better than my daughter and so there are more pictures.  I like how the hood turned out.  When unzipped it looks a bit like a super-hero cape.

The rounded pockets are so cute and the printed dots on the fabric go along with the pockets nicely.  That was not planned, but turned out well.

Once again, the pattern was so easy to follow, with great photos to illustrate the points.  I have for those yet to sew to pattern.  When turning under the cuffs and the waistband to sew the last seam, turn the fabric enough to cover the seam that already attaches it to the body of the jacket plus a bit.  I had to go back and resew a few spots, because I did not turn the fabric under far enough everywhere.  There is plenty of fabric to turn it under sufficiently and catch it just fine.  Follow the picture and the directions and you won't have any problems.

I can't really give you an accurate time estimate, since I added the hood and that took as long as the rest of the jacket.  I also spread it over a month, since I broke my arm and had to wait for it to heal somewhat before sewing it.  I would say it was fairly fast, especially considering the zipper.

For anyone that is afraid of the zipper, the pattern has great instructions.  I liked it enough I used the same method to put the zipper on the hood.  

My son loves his jacket and it looks great -- handmade, not homemade.  

No comments:

Post a Comment